Job title: Senior Support Engineer/Principal Support Engineer
Job Family: Support
Role: Senior Engineer (L2)
A mid-level position, responsible for providing front-end technical support to customers and proactively enabling customer self-service.
Key Results Areas
- Take ownership of technical customer requests and provide support for a product or solution using telephone, email, communities or chat.
- Independently apply acquired technical knowledge and open-ended problem-solving methodology to assess increasingly complex problems, analyze root causes, and advise customers on solutions.
- Research, analyze, and resolve complex functionality and usability related issues.
- Perform troubleshooting by recreating a customer scenario on internal testing equipment with a comparable software configuration.
- Understand and accurately document product questions that require in-depth analysis; determine and pursue the appropriate process to progress the issue to resolution.
- Identify complex or high impact issues and coordinate with senior staff where necessary for resolution. Escalate unresolved customer issues to the appropriate subject matter expert or manager according to product line procedures.
- Proactively enable customer self-service
- Contributes and updates content in the knowledge base, external forums and user communities in order to enable customers to self-serve
- Educates the customer on how to leverage self-service resources by demonstrating functionality and best practices
- Manage own time to prioritize and balance all assignments.
- Maintain knowledge of Support policies, procedures, tools, system and adhere to it
Typical Role Definition
Professional Staff. An intermediate level professional role. Some evaluation, originality or ingenuity required to perform tasks. Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a particular field.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope:
- Generally, works with consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions:
- Work with the customer and Arcserve resources to meet customer objectives.
- Determine priorities of customer issues.
- Recommend solutions to customers.
- Typically has no direct reports
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
Bachelor’s Degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or related discipline. Master’s degree or global equivalent a plus.
Role Specific Competencies:
- Work experience of 5 plus years in a customer focused environment.
- Proficient customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills; written, verbal.
- Ability to perform troubleshooting and apply analytical skills in complex environments.
- Ability to handle and resolve high pressure situations.
- Understanding of backup and recovery solutions. Hands-on in any backup application such as Arcserve UDP, HP data protector, Veeam, Tivoli
- Architecture level knowledge about Disks, tape libraries, NAS, SAN, ISCSI, FC, Tape library, Other Storage devices
- Hands-on experience with Storage Solutions from major hardware vendors like Dell, EMC,Barracuda. Certification on Storage Solutions will be an added advantage.
- Network Basics – OSI Layers, IP Address, TCP\IP, UDP, FTP, Ping, Telnet, Netstat, Etc.
- Network protocols – Http, Https, SSL, SMTP ,POP3
- Network troubleshooting – Troubleshooting on Network Throughput / communication Problems
- Troubleshooting Knowledge on Active directory (AD), DNS, DHCP, Database, Security, Application Firewall, Network proxy, LDAP
- Thorough knowledge of Windows or Linux /UNIX environment
- Experience in backup and recovery of Oracle Database using RMAN / Oracle Backup Commands
- Server administration focused on performing upgrades of software, maintaining computer hardware, addressing questions about technical problems, improving efficiency by evaluating system network functions / performance log analysis and other critical server functionality.
- Experienced in virtual platform such as Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware or Citrix Xen
- Knowledge of Scripting will be an added advantage
- Desired certifications- MCSE/CCNA/SNIA//VCP /RHCE/OCP
Positions Available: 9